Monday, October 7, 2013

Review| NYX Natural Eye Shadow Palette

                                                                                                   
                Image from: nyxcosmetics.com

    The palette includes 6 shadows- 3 matte, two satin and one shimmer shadow. 

Quick description and review of the colors from left to right:
  • Matte cream- Very chalky, doesn't have much pigmentation. Find that it works well for a subtle highlight under the brow or for blending out shadows in the crease.
  • Shimmery champagne- Very powdery, produces so much fallout and eventually blends out to basically nothing. Was most excited about this shade but was most disappointed by it. Might work well with a stickier primer but for now, I never use it.
  • Matte warm burnt-orange- Overall mediocre, can be a bit chalky. It is good for blending out colors in the crease or in the crease by itself but I find it almost pulls too warm. 
  • Satin beige- Shows up as basically nothing on my lid because it's just a little but darker than my skin. But can be used to blend above the crease.
  • Satin brownish taupe- My favorite color in the palette. It it more brown than it is purple, which is hard to find in a lot of taupe shadows. It's creamy, not too powdery and is very nicely pigmented.
  • Matte deep brown- Very pigmented, not overly powdery. I tend to use it as liner because it's SO dark.


Top swatches are on top of ELF Eye Shadow Primer, bottom swatches are on top of foundation.
This picture was taken using natural light!


    From the picture you can tell that the lighter shades show up much better when on top of a primer. The other four shades show no difference in pigmentation, but they ALL last longer over a primer.




    This picture shows how true to color the shadows are. The first three were swatched very heavily, the other three fairly lightly. I did have to blow away some powder fallout after swatching, especially from the second shade. This picture was taken under fluorescent lighting!



   Overall, I would recommend this product to anyone that doesn't have very many neutral eye shadows and wants to expand their collection with drugstore products. I find myself using it whenever I wear eye shadow, but only because I don't have any other neutral palettes. This is my go-to travel palette because you have multiple complete eye looks using only this palette. It does have some nice shades, but it lacks in pigmentation in most of the shadows. Some people have compared it to the Naked Basics Palette by Urban Decay, but I wouldn't draw that comparison because of differing shades and overall quality. If you're willing to shell out $27 for an all neutral palette with six shadows, I would point you towards Urban Decay.


Rating: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment