Tuesday, July 29, 2014

DIY| Studded Canvas



Yay it's my first DIY post!

This canvas is SUPER easy to make, and you only need a few supplies.
 I already had most of the supplies so this cost me a grand total of $1! (plus tax)

You will need:              
  • A canvas (you can even use piece of wood)
  • A stencil of some sort (you can free-hand or make your own stencils and print them out)
  • Tacks (find the tacks that look like studs- I found a pack of 300 at the dollar store!)
Optional: Hot glue, paint

   
    First thing you want to do is paint your canvas if you're not happy with the color. Mine was originally used for something else, so I decided to paint it. Luckily, we had some left over black spray paint from an earlier project so I didn't have to spend any money on that!




Print out your stencils on paper and cut them out! I used 400p bold Times New Roman.
     
This is the same sheet of paper. I wanted the least amount of paper scraps possible!

I am so incredibly impatient and impulsive, so I didn't even wait for the spray paint to dry. This actually worked out pretty well for me because I wasn't exactly sure how to trace out the letters onto the black anyway. Maybe a pencil would have shown up? Who knows. All I know is that sticking the paper on the canvas before the paint dried worked great!

I liked the look of even spacing between everything.

Place a towel or a sweater in the underside of the canvas to support it while you're pushing in the tacks. It takes a bit of force to get them through the material.
               


Start filling in the letters with the tacks! This takes some time, but once you get the hang of it, the process goes really fast. The tacks are going to have to overlap to make sure the paper underneath is completely covered. This part is a lot of trial and error. Don't be afraid to reposition the tacks.



This isn't where it's actually going to go (it's for my dorm), but here's what it looks like hanging out on a random wall!


Use hot glue to cover the back of the tacks once you like the way everything looks. It kind of works like the back of an earring. This isn't completely necessary, but I wanted to be extra sure they weren't going to come out when I move!


     You can use any word, shape or color combination you like! I'm thinking about making a second one that says "MORE" and then hanging them next to each other. We'll see :)



diy, do it yourself, cheap, canvas, art, dorm, dorm decor, easy, dollar store crafts, cute decor, easy decor, wall decor, studded decor, black and gold decor, diy canvas decor, reuse old canvas, thumb tack crafts, what to do with thumb tacks, easy cheap diy

No comments:

Post a Comment